Tuesday, June 26, 2012

ILLUMINATE ME PLEASE

I've been traveling a lot lately and there appears to be a frightening trend in commercial bathroom design. Consider this a formal complaint in fact, directed at the hospitality design industry. Don't get me wrong, as I am all about the "design aesthetic", but I am a woman and as said woman, there is that whole hair and makeup thing at least once and often twice a day! Who is responsible for the lighting going into hotel bathrooms of late? I'm talking about some five-star hotels here! How does one ever get dressed with fluorescent bulbs? It's hard enough for one to look good at a certain age and stage of life in the warm glow of incandescent - but fluorescent - no way (not even at twenty years old). In the ghoulish green glare of a fluorescent, no one looks good! Also, did you know you need twice as much light to see at fifty-five as you did at twenty ???

So, to be most effective begin the bathroom lighting at the vanity with the lights that do the most work. These lights must be bright enough so you can see to shave or apply makeup, but soft enough to compliment facial features. Fixtures located on the side of the mirror really should be at eye level to be most effective.When selecting a fixture style, choose one that has a translucent lens to avoid glare.

Bulb selection is as important as the fixture. Try colored or frosted bulbs designed to enhance the skin tones. A halogen light above the vanity provides cross illumination when used in conjunction with wall sconces. You want to avoid using recessed alone, as the shadows can be horrendous!

Layers in the final end are always the key to success when it comes to lighting. So here is my plea to all those sitting at the drafting table -  just remember there are people staying in those luxury properties who are just a little ways past twenty-two!

via Pinterest

via Pinterest






via Pinterest








via Pinterest

via Pinterest

via Pinterest



2 comments:

  1. Beth, what a volume of Beauty! Your blog is unbelievable. I feel like each post is a new edition of Veranda! And your writing draws the reader into each piece!
    I just found your blog, why it took so long??? But I will add it to my blog's must reads. ....now when ever there is a new post it will POP up!! I love that feature. I don't understand anything about all the new ways of communicating, but I use them! My blog and life is so, so simple! I write about crazy ideas I get and with my husbands help, we try and make them come to life.
    Will be back....
    Patty Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patty! I'm always thinking about things and trying to problem solve issues in the blog, actually more than you know. The topics typically relate to projects we are working on in some way or form. All I can say is thank God for the interns that scan and download, crop and rotate, as I'm really inept at all the technical issues! I just choose the images and write the text! So glad you following us and I'll do the same!

    ReplyDelete